To the men's entrance

The gallery to the men's entrance

The gallery behind this armoured sliding door leads to the elevator shaft in Block 8, connecting the latter with Block 7. The two entrances are about 150 m away from one another. The crew used to come in by the gate on top, then walk down the stairs, along the gallery to arrive at this diversion point, wherefrom they walked to their respective quarters.

The Germans occupied the Fort after the 1940 Armistice, but in 1945, when in retreat, they blew up the former Men’s Entrance, which was then rebuilt in 1951 after an up-to-date design.

- Next